Get a promotion
Getting a promotion requires more than keeping your head down and working hard. You need to make sure that you're developing the right skills, impressing the right people, and spending your time on the right objectives to best position yourself for a promotion. This Action Plan Template for getting a promotion will get you started with an action plan so you're not starting from a blank page. Use it a starting point and tailor it as needed to fit your specific job search goal.
- Determine my end goalFeb 24, 2020Think through what you want by getting a promotion. A title bump? An increase in responsibilities? An increase in compensation? All of the above? Knowing exactly what success means will help you get there. Depending on how your company works, you may be more successful by articulating your ask, for example, as "I want a raise" instead of "I want a promotion".
- Figure out how promotions work at my companyMar 6, 2020Companies have different processes for promoting people. You need to figure out how yours makes these decisions. Some questions to ask: 1) What's the cycle/timing for making promotion decisions? Is it tied into the performance review cycle? 2) Who makes promotion decisions? How big of a factor is your manager? Who else weighs in? 3) What are the criteria/guidelines for getting a promotion? 4) What information does the company review to make the decision? 5) Does there have to be / is there an open "box" on the org chart for the job you want to be promoted to?
- Build my caseMar 13, 2020Take an honest look at yourself and build your case for a promotion based on what you learned about how promotions work at your company. 1) How do my skills map to the requirements of the new role? 2) What experiences do I have that demonstrate capability for the demands of the new role? 3) Who in the organization can be an advocate for me? 4) Is there anything I need to work on / demonstrate to better position me for the promotion?
- Talk to my managerMar 20, 2020Have a conversation with your manager about your desire for a promotion. Get their perspective on your chance for success. Discuss your case with them and get their thoughts the strengths / weaknesses of your case. Enlist their help in strengthening your case.
- Talk to my mentorMar 20, 2020Have a conversation with your mentor about your desire for a promotion. Get their perspective on your chance for success. Discuss your case with them and get their thoughts the strengths / weaknesses of your case. Enlist their help in strengthening your case.
- Strengthen your caseDevelop the skills, lead the projects, achieve the achievements, get the experiences you need to fill in the weaknesses in your case. Create new goals in Nodabl to keep yourself organized and on track.
- Push for the promotionWhen the time comes for promotion decisions, make sure you re-emphasize to the right set of people that you are looking for a promotion. Make sure they understand your case and that whatever official documentation exists as part of the process properly represents your case.